Thursday 29 September 2016

"I Had a Nightmare Dream"



Here's a conversation about pain between two good friends who gave me permission to use their words, and whose names are changed.

"I had a nightmare type dream where I was in a car with others and I lost control on a curve.  I regained control quite quickly and no one was hurt.  Now that's quite a telling dream, huh?"

That's what one of my support group friends reported when she woke up in the morning with her feet and lower legs hurting like the dickens - she said they were "on fire". So she took her pain med and looked forward to feeling better because she had a busy day planned...


With a forecast for strong thunderstorms, a high of 90 and very high humidity she blamed some of it on the weather. She said "I wish my doc would let me take more medication on the bad days but he is worried about the changes in the brain that opioids make."

"Oh well...when I hurt enough I guess I will complain louder."

Gail replied "I do wish the doctor would listen to what you’re saying about the pain Robin. I’d say, what about what the constant pain does to the brain and how you feel in yourself?

Gail went on to comment that she had one of those days yesterday where the pain meds just didn’t cut it; by the afternoon she felt awful, stiff and painful and the fatigue hit super hard. I held off but relented with extra pain meds by 6pm and my evening was much better. Does anyone else have days like that where you’re literally counting the minutes to the next pain med dose?" 

Robin told us "Out of the 24 hours I get relief for approximately 8 if you consider how long it takes for the med to reach all the brain sensors for pain and then the time it begins to start back to "normal".  I was counting the hours yesterday to when I could take the second. 

Exactly Robin, replied Gail. Which pain med are you on? I’m on Di-hydrocodeine and that takes 50-60 minutes to metabolize in the liver. I then get between 4-6 hours before they wear off. I do know what you mean too about how fascinating it is, the way one day your elbow for example can be in absolute agony and then next day, nothing! Sometimes hour to hour is like that, it’s a crazy disease for sure

I am on hydromorphone 2mgs.  I feel better today. So I was able to sleep from 7-9 but it wasn't refreshing sleep.  I'm not sure I will ever have that again. 

I know my friends use a variety of methods to stay mobile, to distract themselves from the pain socializing and doing creative activities and yet this is not always enough. 

Another member of our group takes a very low dose pill usually only once a day, and yet despite the fact that she is stable and also almost 80 she is forced to make an extra visit to the doctor every month to get a new prescription. he feels he is doing her a favour because she is his only patient on any opiod at all and if he did not do this she would be forced to go to a pain clinic.

Things are getting very difficult for patients with chronic pain who just want to be able to function for at least part of the day. Every drug we take has an inherent risk of course. If I could not take Nsaids I don't know what I would use as an alternative, and yet Nsaids commonly cause cardiovascular and stomach problems, especially as you age. The alternative medications for pain are all risky and we are being warned about almost every painkiller.

It seems that patients are more and more expected to find their own remedies and many of us are very skilled in using every strategy we find already. Where do we go from here?

I actually saw an article where orthopedic surgeons were discussing cutting back on strong painkillers. I will admit I could do with less than a week's worth usually, but don't even try t talk to me about mindfullness two days after one of my joints has been fused or reconstructed.

This post is part of RA Blog Week. More blogs on this topic can be found here.






1 comment:

  1. This is such a great article Annette. With chronic pain we've all already learned to try the 'other' methods first, pain meds are usually the last resort for us when it won't quit. There is far too much onus on 'addiction' 'dependence' which are two different things and not enough on just what constant pain does to a body and to a mind.

    ReplyDelete