Friday 16 November 2012

Your Brain on Pain

I have been worrying about brain power so I thought that reading blogs about the topic might help. One of them said "Ban the calculator" which lead me to think back to the year when calculators became so cheap that we gave them to people for Christmas presents. That was a big deal back in the 70s (?) and now you can get them free.


Maybe it's a sign of aging that I can now remember when commonplace items of the present were not a part of my life.

This worry about memory may be because of the "brain fog" connected to medication and illness that affects cognitive abilities.  Even mild sleeping pills can cause a decline, especially in the elderly (That starts when?).

Honestly I think that pain also has the effect of dragging down your thinking powers and your will to do things.  Before I was diagnosed with RA I has serious symptoms like fatigue, swelling, pain and weight loss but all I could think of was successfully continuing my life as it was.  That took all of the energy I had.  Even working only part time I would come home from work and fall asleep with my clothes on. So there was no energy left to help me develop ideas to solve the problem on my own or to find help for a solution.


It's amazing to me that so many people with chronic disease get past this and do so well at helping others get out of the trap. An effective treatment for your health problem is the best way to get out of this slump but that is as far away as the gold at the end of the rainbow.  Proper treatment was what finally got me on the slow train of not recovery exactly, but improvement.

Here is the link to the LifeHack post on increasing brain power
http://www.lifehack.org/articles/productivity/10-simple-ways-to-increase-your-brain-power.html
Tip #1 also sounds like a good way to have more fun, though it won't be sky diving for me. 

Really and selfishly my prime goal is to be happy and I think I finally decided that eating too much is not really making me happy.  I would like to be as happy as my old avatar looks like she was, or this baby.


No comments:

Post a Comment